Princess

When things are horrible--just horrible--I think as hard as ever I can of being of princess. I say to myself , "I am a princess." You don't know how it makes you forget.
-A Little Princess
"It's true," she said. "I do pretend I am a princess. I pretend to be a princess so I can try to behave like one."
-A Little Princess

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and...I believe in miracles.
-Audrey Hepburn

Friday, January 13, 2012

New Semester

This blog is called "My Princess Diary." I named it so because I figured creating a blog is already the most egotistical thing you could do, so I might as well go all the way. With a blog, you're assuming that someone, somewhere, out there on the internet, cares about what you have to say. Luckily for me, a couple of people have told me they enjoyed my blog, and encouraged me to keep posting. I figure as long as there is one person whose day is brightened a little bit my reading my rants and stories, I'll keep writing.

That being said, one of my goals for this year is to write in this blog on a more regular basis. I know I just had a post on Monday, but that was about the "princess" part of the title. Today's post is the "diary" part.

I just started my second semester at BYU. New year, new classes, new schedule. I feel like everything has changed. When I came back from Christmas break, I felt like a different person, which is ridiculous because obviously I'm still me. No matter how many times I've moved, how many different groups of friends I've joined, I've stayed the same. Do you ever analyze yourself? I do. I think I'm good at adapting to change, but I, myself, don't change. I did struggle a bit at the beginning of the year, when I realized that for the first time in my life, I wasn't a smart kid. EVERYONE here is a smart kid. And Mormon. Maybe that's why this semester is different. Last semester, I freaked out a little bit when I realized that everyone here was just like me, only better. This semester, I'm doing better. It's all about self-realization and recognizing that you have something to offer the world.

What I'm trying to say is, if anyone reading this is considering coming to BYU, or has kids who want to come to BYU, do it, but be careful. It can be really detrimental to your self-esteem if you come expecting college to be just like high school. BYU is a completely unique college. It may not be up to Ivy League academic standards, but think about it this way: Out of 11,000 kids who apply to BYU, 7,000 are accepted each year. Mormons are, for the most part, very intelligent and/or hardworking, because from a young age we are taught the importance of a good education. So that's 7,000 Mormons kids who are smart. I'm still getting used to the fact even ditzy girls are intelligent here. And as for the church...these are kids who CHOOSE to go to a Mormon college. They need to sign the Honor Code and get an Ecclesiastical Endorsement. They know what the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity are. That part's pretty cool. Anyway, it's hard to stand out at BYU, when everyone is just like you.

So, prospective student, before coming to BYU, decide who you are and what you have to offer the world. Just kidding. Don't do that, because the truth is you have no idea! I sure don't have any idea. I just did the best I could to find people who accept me for who I am, all the quirks and obnoxiousness included. As far as I can make out, I am Emily-with-the-long-eyelashes. Emily-the-Harry-Potter-and-Disney-nerd. Emily-the-girl-who's-smaller-than-everyone-else. And you know what? I don't mind. I am who I am, and I'm okay with it. College is difficult, and finding your place in the world is difficult, but don't stress. Basically the whole point of this rambling blog is that I think the freshman-ness has worn off. I feel...I don't. Not more mature. Just less willing to stay up until four in the morning, I guess. I feel older, that's for sure. And I love BYU as much as ever. No matter who you are, you can have an amazing time at BYU. Wanna hear something cool? Today I saw Vocal Point (as seen on the Sing Off) perform right in the middle of campus! I was right up close! Here are the videos I took: (my friend Mike [Quotidian Adventures] put them on YouTube for me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3v8zFyI20c

So yeah. That's my life!
Emily <3

1 comment: