Princess

When things are horrible--just horrible--I think as hard as ever I can of being of princess. I say to myself , "I am a princess." You don't know how it makes you forget.
-A Little Princess
"It's true," she said. "I do pretend I am a princess. I pretend to be a princess so I can try to behave like one."
-A Little Princess

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and...I believe in miracles.
-Audrey Hepburn

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Things People Say in My World

Have you seen that YouTube video series called "*stuff* [people of a particular group] says"? It started with "*Stuff* Girls Say," which was a video of a guy dressed like a girl, saying some of the most common phrases uttered by the average woman. Since then it's taken off. Not all of them are very appropriate, but a couple are funny:



I am now going to enlighten you by sharing some of the stuff that is said in my world. Remember, my world consists of Single Ladies and Mormons.

Single Lady friends:
"She told me he might like me, so I should be careful. I'm tired of being careful. I just want to flirt and have fun without worrying about feelings." (The Single Lady anthem.)
"One day, someone will love me." (The other Single Lady anthem).
"I'm tired of dating." (So. True.)
"I just...want a boyfriend, so he can hold me." 

My Roommate's Aunt
(Her elementary-aged daughter had said, "My friend likes this guy, but she can do better.")
"No, Monica can do better. You don't do."

This Fairly Famous Old Religion Professor and LDS Speaker My Grandma Had Me Meet
"Has anyone ever told you...that you're a cutie?"
"If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Wow, if I was 20 years old and going to BYU..."
(On finding out that I'd gotten a scholarship) "Wow, pretty AND smart! You've got it all!" 
What can I say? Old people love me. 

Yep. That's my life. Here's a list of all the things I've done since Friday:
-Watched The Emperor's New Groove 
-Watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 twice on Saturday (with two different groups of friends)
-Worked on my Sunday School lesson in the Museum of Art 
-Went to a super fun dance with my roommates
-Got celebratory ice cream for St. Patrick's Day
-Watched as Eagle Scouts built a fire on a wall
-Ate pizza in front of said fire
-Ate Sunday dinner at my roommate's aunt's house
-Had two classes basically cancelled on Monday, and one cancelled today
-Went to our ward talent show, which reminded me once again that I wasted my entire childhood and am now talentless
-Was picked up by my grandparents and taken to meet the famous religion teacher and out to dinner

Basically, the last five days have been a mix of really, really good, and really, really bad things. 

Now it's time for a quiz. Here's a list of words or phrases I use as part of my regular speech, that come from books or movies. These aren't things that I quote regularly, (such as "The closer we are to danger, the further we are from harm!" "That doesn't make any sense to me. But then, you are very small," or "Nobody react to what I'm about to tell you, but I think that kid might be the Avatar!" *smack*) but actual phrases I have adopted into my lexicon. So, guess where they're from. Guess guess guess! (that's the first one.)

1. So guess. Guess guess guess!
2. Good heavens. People.
3. Sir Lancelot, I'm ready! I Am Ready!!!!! (I say this whenever someone is waiting on me to get ready before we can leave, and I finally finish.)
4. Geddit, Fred? (whenever I tell a really lame and obvious joke)
5. Food for thought!
6. Ob...viously. 
7. ALL ob dem!! (when I'm offered several things, and I want all of them)
8. I'm a good girl, I am! (whenever someone tries to besmirch my character)
9. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. 
10. True story. (Everyone says this, I know. But it's still from something)

Ok, that's enough. HINT: Nearly all of them are said in a British accent.
Since this was a really short blog post, and I have a reputation to uphold, I will leave you with some of my favorite quotes from the best person who never lived. 

"It is our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." (Easy for him to say. He got a Hogwarts letter.)
"Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."
"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think we don't recall them more clearly in our times of greatest trouble?"
"You place too much importance on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what he grows to be!"
"Harry, suffering like this proves you are still a man! This pain is part of being human … the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength." (Then Harry yells, "I DON'T WANT TO BE HUMAN!" That scene is intense.)
"It is the unknown we fear when we look on death and darkness, nothing more."
"People find it easier to forgive others for being wrong, than for being right."
"Don't pity the dead. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love."
"Voldemort himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back." (This is probably my favorite quote. For those who say that there is no deeper meaning to Harry Potter, you're being just as blind as Voldemort and Fudge.)

So, I'm currently rerererererererererererererererererereading the first Harry Potter book. I freaking love Harry Potter. I could literally go on for hours about how amazing the series is, but I'll spare you. For now. 

Keep calm and catch Snitches.
Emily <3

4 comments:

  1. This thing says I'm Kari, but I'm not. I'm her mom. I know where #8 comes from--my fave musical. Your grandpa used to say it all the time in a falsetto voice. LOL Fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ohhhh em. I feel like all of those Single Lady comments could be direct citations from things I've actually said. Particularly the first one. Which I'm pretty sure actually is a quote from me.

    Also, this song came on my iPod this morning at work and it made me think of you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBnxqEVKlk
    The song is pretty great ("I am woman, hear me roar"?)...but that video is singularly hilarious. Look at those background dancers!! oh, the 70's...what were they thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that was from you! I loved it. A lot. But the other ones were from other girls.

      That song/video is hilarious. Those pants? But it's a good message: "I am strong, I'm invincible, I am WOMAN!"

      Delete