Princess

When things are horrible--just horrible--I think as hard as ever I can of being of princess. I say to myself , "I am a princess." You don't know how it makes you forget.
-A Little Princess
"It's true," she said. "I do pretend I am a princess. I pretend to be a princess so I can try to behave like one."
-A Little Princess

I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and...I believe in miracles.
-Audrey Hepburn

Monday, April 9, 2012

Happiness on April 9th

Today's happiness was a little bit dampened by the fact that I woke up sick. I feel gross. But there were still some good things!

Last night, I tried to make dear Eleanor proud. Imagine, if you will, driving a car. Easy enough. Now, imagine you only learned how to drive last summer. Okay, that's a good eight months of driving practice after you got your license, no big deal. Now imagine you've only driven once since starting college in September, and that was was a five-minute trip down a street you drove on every single day when you were in Driver's Ed. Quite a bit scarier, especially if you're a passenger. It was like learning how to drive all over again. But I didn't crash and I didn't get pulled over, (although one of the people with me in the car said that he felt like he was teaching me how to drive, and then he buckled his seat belt) but no one died! Moral of the story: I need to learn how to drive. For real. I feel like I can't be a fully functional adult if I can't even transport myself. Because driving is fun, and it gives you power.

Also, I love my job. When people hear that I work nights, they are always sympathetic and say "Oh I'm so sorry! I could never do that!" but the truth is your body adjusts to the hours, so that part isn't difficult, and it can be pretty fun to be in a building at night with just your boss and coworkers. ESPECIALLY if your boss and coworkers are amazing people. Which mine are. A couple of people I work with read this blog, and so I'm talking to you right now: You guys are the best. When I first came to school, I felt completely invisible, because there were so many perfect and talented people. I felt like there was no place for me. Maybe it's because having a job makes me feel like I have a purpose, or because we always have so much fun, but I feel...important...at work. Okay this is all weird and sappy, but it's true! It's not the most fun or fulfilling job, but I love it anyway, because I love you guys. And those of you who are leaving forever, I'm going to miss you. A whole lot. Those of you who are staying, we need to have a good time next year too. Hopefully the new employees will be fun. They have a lot to live up to, but I have faith. So, yeah. Being a janitor can be enjoyable if you make it enjoyable.

Like the discussion a couple of people and I had last night, about whether girls are prettier with short hair or long hair. Out of the seven guys I work with, only one guy said short hair was prettier. Are there any other guys out there who think the same? I want all of you reading this to find some more guys who think girls are prettier with short hair. There has to be a couple more, right?
Anyway, the discussion led to this really funny exchange, which I will now share with you:
Guy who likes short-haired girls: "Emily, you should cut your hair."
Guy who likes long-haired girls: "No, I don't think you'd look good with short hair."
Me: "I KNOW I wouldn't look good with short hair. And one time, I pulled it up into this bob thing, and my roommate told me, 'Emily, you should never cut your hair.'"
Guy who likes short-haired girls: "Well, you should listen to her, because your roommate isn't attracted to girls."
Me: "I sure hope not, because that would make things really weird in our room."

And there you have it. Except for the whole sick thing, it's been an okay day. I got some Jamba Juice and chased a boy for my friend so that she wouldn't have to break the Peacock Rule. He totally likes her back. Too bad he's going on a mission. Oh, premies. Watcha gonna do.

TWO DAYS OF CLASSES LEFT!!!! I need to start packing...and finish my homework. Oh well.
Emily <3

Oh one more thing. You know that song "Call Me, Maybe" that everyone has been obsessing about? Well I found this hilariously awesome music video that is probably the best thing I've ever seen (except for the Harry Potter "This Is War" video.) It shouldn't be the best thing ever, but it totally is. I feel so conflicted. Oh well, why fight it? Here it is:

1 comment: